Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thing Sixteen

I guess the first thing I need to confess is that even though I frequently come upon and read entries in wikipedia I hadn't really put two and two together to realize that it was a wiki. Obviously I knew more about wikis than I thought.
I especially enjoyed the article on using wikis in communities, with specific ideas on how libraries benefit from creating wikis. It was fun to see the examples of wikis discussing books, a variety of subject headings and the ALA New Orelans wiki with all kinds of information on the conference and tourist information on New Orleans. I did notice that the information in the first two wikis mentioned above were very sketchy and kind of unpredictable. I guess that's another fault of wikis in addition to the fact that lots of erroneous maatrial can creep in.
I am excited about the prospect of MCPL staring a children's programming wiki. It will be great to share all of our great ideas, and will be very helpful in the coming hear with the challenges that face us. From what I understand though, there will be some oversight as to what gets posted rather than having a free for all wiki.
It might even be a good idea to have a wiki next year to deal with all of the changes and hardships the library will be facing. Honestly one downside - just finding time to participate and read!

No comments:

Post a Comment