Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thing Fifteen

I read several of the articles recommended for this assignment, including "Away from the Icebergs," Into a New World of Librarianship" and "To more Powerful Ways to Cooperate." Basically I can see that the library is already turning to more of the Web 2.0 tools than I had really been aware of. I can see the value of them, in providing information to customers without having to rely on print material, the physical library building as much, and ways to locate materials and have a richer catalog with OCLC and WorldCat and more ability to share with each other. All of this shared knowledge and use of technology is so exciting and yet can be confusing and almost overwhelming. I love the idea of getting information at your fingertips, from home or anywhere. Also while it's wonderful to have all of this information from wherever, I hope that our library boat stays afloat and that people realized the we need to be well funded. Libraries provide free access to everyone, whether from at the library or on the web. Also we need to be aware of all of our customers, both with and without technical abilities and access to the technology.
As for me, I love learning the new things,but even after each exercise I feel grateful to being exposed to these new tools, yet feel I have barely touched the surface. I hope I can keep up to some degree even after I've retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment